My son is graduating from high school this year, and I have graduation on the brain!
Today on the Scrapbook Adhesives by 3L Crafty Power Blog I posted a Graduation Cap and Gown Card with a cap that flips up revealing a gift card pocket. Here is the tutorial to make it!
This blog post contains affiliate links and gifted products. I may earn a small commission from clicks to websites that end in a purchase.
Start with a sheet of 8.5 x 11″ black cardstock. I prototyped it from white paper, and then wrote the dimensions – these are the fold and cut lines.
Essentially the body is 6.5 x 8.5″. Fold down the center to make a wide card with flaps on both sides. Set aside for now.
Take the cut off piece, which is about 4.5 x 8.5″. Trim to 4.25 x 8.5″, then mark the center with a pencil. Fold the outer corners into the center to make this design:
Then adhere the folds down to make the square. (Hang on, we’ll get to the tassel and brad part.)
Once these are folded in,you have the graduation cap. To make the tassel, cut a strip of paper about 3 x 2″, snip with scissors to make the fringe part. Add Permanent Strips Adhesive across the top edge, place embroidery floss into the adhesive, roll tightly. Place a brad at the center of the graduation cap, wrap the floss around it and secure the brad prongs inside the cap so they are under the folds.
Next we have to secure the cap to the card. I used a strip of black cardstock to attach on the underside of the cap and the back side of the card. Then I closed and adhered the flaps on the back side of the card.
From the front side, you can see the flip strip on the underside of the cap.
From here layer cardstock that coordinates with your school colors.
The center piece should be just wide enough to create a pocket that fits a standard sized gift card. Place 3D Foam Squares around the outside edges of paper to create a pocket. (I placed the gift card on the cardstock and worked around it to make sure it would fit.)
I added a die cut and stamped Congratulations on it. I left room for a personal note or signature from the giver.
The front looked a little bland, so I added the stole to the front, so it looked more like a real gown.
The last (optional) thing is to add a short strip of cardstock inside, to keep the card from collapsing – it will be front-heavy.
These are my supplies: Note that I’m updating the supplies to currently available, the original post is from 2012.
Thanks for stopping by today!